An Interview With Mella Moylan!

This week it's Mella's turn in the interview chair! She gave us a refreshingly honest account of what she's been up to... have a look!! 

What did you study, where and when did you graduate? 
I studied Textiles In Practice at MMU, graduating in July 2016. 

Describe your work in 3 words. Geometric, modular, installation. 

 Tell us about your favourite piece of your work. 
My favourite pieces are the two 3.5m long wooden textiles hangings I created for the degree show vertical gallery. I’m really thankful to the university for funding these pieces as it enabled me to create work on such a great scale. They’re are created from 1.5mm thick, laser cut birch plywood tiles, adhered by hand to both sides of a length of black silk organza. I am inspired by how simple geometric shapes combine to create intricate compositions. The juxtaposition of words in the title ‘wooden textiles’ informed my designs as I used a hard material to create a fluid, tactile textile, that is also structural and sculptural. 
Mella's beautiful Vertical Gallery pieces



 Tell us about life after your degree. 
Honestly, it’s been really hard! When I was in my final year I didn’t have any naive expectations of landing my dream job once I graduated, but I certainly didn’t expect it to be this difficult to get my foot in the door. Throughout my degree I did a lot of varied, unpaid work experience in the arts, which I really recommend doing while you have the comfort and security of your student loan! I thought this might improve my chances of getting a job in the arts on graduating, but it seems like the market is really over saturated and there’s the expectation that you will continue to work for free, which I really resent. (soz to be negative) On a brighter note, in the first 6 months after graduating I took part in a number of exhibitions and collaborative projects, which was really exciting and helped open some doors. I ended up taking a step back from creating work as it was difficult to fund and sustain, and I had no drive to create. I decided to focus on working on the other side of the arts, working in galleries, curating and producing arts events. I now have somehow ended up with 4 (part-time/flexible) jobs, working in independent and public galleries, assisting in a laser cutting company and (from September) working as an artist in residence at a school. For a long time I felt really guilty about giving up on my practice, but now I’m finally feeling the need to create again. It’s ok to take a step back, you don’t have to force yourself to make art once you’ve finished university! Now I’m creating because I want to, not out of necessity or obligation. A year on from graduation, I’m not where I expected I’d be but I’m on my way to getting there! 


If you could give your student self some advice, what would it be? 
Don’t play the game ‘Let’s see how well I can do with a minimal amount of effort’. Work harder in the first unit of your third year so you wont have to work so relentlessly in Unit X, future you will be thankful! Learn everything you can about Adobe Creative Suite, and any other software/machinery that is relevant to your practice. It will make you feel like more of a capable/employable human being once you’ve graduated. 

What item could you not function without? 
My glasses! They broke the other day and I didn’t have a spare, I was honestly so helpless.

Bonus question for an extra point... just kidding there are no points. If you were a piece of fruit what would you be? 
Probably a flat peach. They’re delicious, highly recommend.

You can see more of what Mella's up to on instagram: @mella.moy or her website: www.mellamoylan.com

Comments