An Interview with Jennifer Duckett...

In the interview chair this week is... the lovely Jennifer Duckett!  



What did you study, where and when did you graduate? 
I studied Textiles in Practice at Manchester School of Art, and graduated July 2016 

Describe your work in 3 words. 
Playful, vibrant and funky! 


Tell us about your favourite piece of work. 
Slightly off the subject of what I typically produce, but I block-printed some tote bags for a small craft festival and my favourite was the one with multiple pairs of boobs on it! The 'Boobie Bag' came to light by personally supporting the #freethenipple movement. As a self-proclaimed feminist, I feel that this is an important global notion and a campaign for change. I wanted to create a print that made an impact and got people talking, and it’s proved popular! 

Tell us about life after your degree. 
Life after my degree has been a rollercoaster! I currently work part-time in an independent café, spending my day making coffees and smiling. After those days have passed, I spend my time in my studio running my business which is started with the help of the Princes’ Trust. I now work collaboratively with companies, exhibit on a small scale, work on commissions and have an online shop that I plan to expand very soon with work I’m keeping under wraps! 



If you could give your student self some advice, what would it be? 
Stop panicking. It’s not the end of the world. Don’t overthink. Take criticism with a pinch of salt. Go to lectures. Stop procrastinating. Don’t restart sketchbooks because you think it’s messy; it tells a story! Make the most of the University resources, you’re paying £9,000 a year after all! Stand up for your work. Relish it. Breathe. Enjoy. (We love this.)

Bonus Question: Which festival best describes your personality? 
100% Glastonbury, it’s an utter dream world, which I’m generally always in whether I’m at Glastonbury or not.


See more here...

www.jenniferduckettdesign.com
instagram: @Jenniferduckett_prints


If you've got any thoughts on these posts (or any of the others),  or if there's anything you'd like to see let us know and we'll do our best!
Love Molly and Chloe x



Comments