Interviews: Molly Newport


W E E K 2! 
Molly's turn in the interviewee chair.



What did you study, where and when did you graduate?
Textiles In Practice, Manchester Met, 2016

Describe your work in 3 words
M: ‘Molly’s creepy critters. No that sounds like I’ve got lice… Textural little critters'

Tell us about your favourite piece of your work 
M: ‘I don’t have one.’
C: ‘To which question, favourite piece of work or life after uni?’
M: ‘We’ll go with Suzie. She’s a little friend I made for myself. 

If interested in Suzie’s life story - carry on reading.
if not, skip to next question :) 
My stepdad owns a Land Rover, I gave him a little brown dog teddy to sit in the front, to keep him company. One particular morning, my stepdad realised that the Landy had been broken into and his tools had been taken, as well as the little brown dog ( I don’t understand why you’d take a teddy either- but they did). So for christmas I made my stepdad a little toy critter that had a cape on. Whilst making the critter I became attached to it and would find myself talking at it. So, when I handed him his present I began to make myself a little octopus to sit in the front of my Mini, HOWEVER. Apparently I can’t count, I realised after I’d sewn the whole octopus up, she only had 7 legs. So that is the story of Suzie the Septopus.

The critter I made for my stepdad 
Suzie!




Tell us about life after your degree
M: ‘how much time have you got?
During my degree my nana was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumour, this has impacted on the amount of time I have to myself because obviously I want to- and enjoy spending time with my nana (she’s ace!) But sometimes this does effect my mood and sometimes I don’t particularly feel very productive so I have days where I like to sit and do nothing :) 
I have a studio over in Stockport which I try and get to, I like having my own little world that I can just unlock the door and be surrounded by my favourite creations. 
But I also work full time in a dog friendly pub (the dog friendly bit is completely irrelevant but it makes a good environment) to earn money for rent and wine. 
I’m also starting to put my designs on Etsy which keeps me connected to my arty side. 





If you could give your student self some advice, what would it be? 
C: ‘my advice to you would be not to stress over insignificant things. Like the time you spent 15 minutes choosing the font for your name on your degree show proposal!’
M: ‘did I?
ermmmmmm, my advice to me would be to keep my workspace tidy. I used to take over the whole studio and Chloe’s side of the table :) Spending more time looking for a pencil than the time you’d actually use it for is not acceptable. 


What item could you not function without?
My diary. I haven’t got a clue what day it is when I wake up and I struggle to remember little things so if I write it in my book, it’s there. No excuses. Also, I always have paper to draw on when I get bored. 

Bonus question for an extra point.. just kidding there are no points.
Favourite singer when you were younger?

Christina Aguilera. obviously. I have always wanted a pair of red, crotchless PVC pants. yes.


Stay tuned for next week!

Comments