On the subject of fucking up...

I was in Ireland for the FoFu exhibition, I was gutted to miss this (and the free beer) but Molly's photos meant that I was able to see all of the fabulous shit you all submitted. Being unafraid of failure is something that Molly and I have talked about for a while, we both know how important it is to take risks and try new things, but also how scary it is when it might go completely tits up...

I've just got back from a week long residency in Ireland where my own fear of fucking up became almost paralysing. This was the first thing I'd done like this, where I'd been paid to make my own work. This meant that the pressure was ON. I panicked by over thinking, *deep exhale*. I somehow went from not having any ideas, to thinking I'm not good enough to be an artist, which in turn means I won't be able to teach. Massively dramatic, I know, Molly already tells me off for it. 

I went for a walk, thought about it a bit and decided to just go for it. If what I made was shit, so be it. If I ended up not making anything, that would definitely be shit so I had nothing to lose! 
So the moral of this story is: if you make work, there's a chance it might be terrible. You have to just do it. If you don't make the work, you won't make the mistakes, and you can't learn from mistakes you don't make!!

Love, Chloe x


Comments