Interviewing Rudi Morris


This week we interviewed Rudi Morris!


What did you study, where and when did you graduate?

I studied 3D Design at Manchester Metropolitan University; I graduated in June 2016


Describe your work in 3 words
Alchemical thrown ceramics






Tell us about your favourite piece of your work 

Oddly enough I did my favourite piece of work in my GCSE's Its a slab built ceramic form covered in textures and stained with a simple iron oxide wash. It has no function and it is not technically challenging. I suppose it's my favourite because when I made it I was completely free in what I was doing, totally ignorant of saleability or usability, just a total naive experimental exploration of textures.



Tell us about life after your degree

Life is interesting. After exhibiting my work at New Designers I got several opportunities to exhibit my work most notable of which are the Great Northern Contempory craft fair in Manchester and Lustre in Nottingham I also got the opportunity to go to the International Ceramics Research Centre in Denmark to be part of project network. I currently have a Job as a lifeguard at my local pool while also working as a teaching assistant on the 3D Design course I graduated from. both of these jobs are to support my practice. I currently have a studio set up in a back room of my parents house, its functional but not really adequate in terms of space.

The best part about like after my degree is that I don't feel constrained with what I'm making any more. there were instances while I was on the degree when i did not know if i was making things because i like it or it was what the tutor liked. This constant looming opinion felt creatively restrictive at times - it felt like I could not act on inspiration that was on a total tangent to my body of work ( naturally I still did I just kept it a secret from the tutors ). After I had finished my degree it feels like this weight has been lifted.

The hardest part has been moving back in with my parents. After four years of independence it's difficult to adjust to living like a child again - subconsciously it affects the way you think and feel about what you do. while it might not be that bad in the beginning long term it's not healthy for everyone involved.


If you could give your student self some advice, what would it be?

Start now - far too often I would leave things to the last minute for no reason.
if you know you have a big piece of work to do - start now.
if you have an idea - draw it , sketch it / model it right away.
if you don't know if an idea will work - test it right away.




What item could you not function without?
A kettle



Bonus question for an extra point.. just kidding there are no points.
would you rather be a goat or an octopus?

I'm definitely an octopus



See more of what Rudi is up to here:
Instagram:  @rudimorris

Comments