Interviewing Hermione Crowe!

This week we've interviewed Hermione Crowe! (and given her possibly one of the hardest bonus questions mwahah)


What did you study, where and when did you graduate?
I studied Textiles in Practice (specializing in embroidery) at Manchester School of Art, and I graduated last July.


Describe your work in 3 words
Colourful, bright, eye-hurty.



Tell us about your favourite piece of your work
It’s hard to pick a favourite because most of my work was ridiculously time consuming and cost me a tiny bit of eyesight. But probably my first pieces of darning. It was the first time I felt I had successfully combined my embroidery skills with my love for weaving.



Tell us about life after your degree
I have moved back to York to live with my Mum, living in my teeny tiny room, doing a nearly full-time café job, which drove me a little crazy at first but I was lucky enough to exhibit at the Knit and Stitch show with uni and that got me back into the creative swing. I got loads of really good advice about creating and advertising my own darning workshops, which I have now delivered in all sorts of settings from Primary Schools to museums to craft shops. Although the workshops pay surprisingly well, I think I’ll have to keep the café job another year or so (stable pennies coming in are always helpful) but I’m doing ASMbly festival in Leeds and York River Arts Market this summer which is something to look forward to and will hopefully provide me with experience for running stalls/workshops at bigger festivals next summer!




If you could give your student self some advice, what would it be?
Drawing actually isn’t bad. The sewing machine will behave better if you whisper it sweet nothings. Blogposts will not improve with alcohol consumption. The girls who put up with your madness in the studio/machine rooms on a daily basis are the best kind of humans (and not just because they always have double-sided tape for you to borrow…). Tea and cake breaks save lives. The amount of time and effort you put into your work will pay off. You didn’t need that eye-sight anyway.



What item could you not function without?
Sugary caffeine.


Bonus question for an extra point.. just kidding there are no points.
you either have to stop wearing glitter or colour, which would it be?

Well…That’s just….I can’t imagine….. In what world…. I’m not happy about it, but I guess colour because all glitter can shine different colours but not all colours are shiny.

See more of Hermione:
On Instagram: @hermionecrowetextiles
In Real life: At the 'Darn It' workshops run by Hermione herself
                    At the pop up studio / workshop ASMbly  in Leeds
                    ORRR at the York River Art Market on the 5th, 12th and 19th August!
                        (she's a busy woman)


Comments