An Interview with Becky Mars!

Oh bloody hell. We've been slacking a bit with these 'weekly' interviews 🙄 ... life gets in the way sometimes. Back to the current student series, with the wonderful Becky Mars being our latest victim! 

Describe your work in 3 words  
Constructed, playful, colour.  

What have you learnt since this time last year?  
Too many things to list… I think the last year has been the time in which I’ve really discovered how I like to work, allowing me to then push my own style of work. I’ve been fortunate enough to intern during both of my uni summers. The experiences I’ve had have made me reflect on my own practice and I’ve learnt a range of different skills from each internship. Collaborating with Riana Phillips on a styling project during Unit X allowed me to work outside my usual Knit discipline. I loved the project and I’m now considering how I can incorporate styling into my practice in my final year.  

What, if anything, would you do differently? 
I wouldn’t change anything hugely, I think I’ve probably learnt the most in the past year from things that haven’t gone to plan or things I’ve made and hated! (Chloe: we love this!!) But... I’d try to; fit a bit of extra sleep in, weave in ends on knit samples as I went along (not in the week before deadline!) and remember to leave time for mounting.  
If you could go back in time and give yourself some advice what would it be? 
Stop worrying and start making. Have confidence in your own ability and enjoy what you’re doing – smile Becky!  

What has kept you sane so far during your degree? 
My group of TIP gals. I’m really fortunate to have found such a supportive and kind group of friends, someone is always on hand to offer advice and a biscuit! Especially Jess Gilbert (when she’s not mithering me) since meeting we’ve been joined at the hip. And of course, multiple brew breaks.  

Any last thoughts? 
Always, always, always say yes to another brew break. Go and have that drink in the pub (C: seconded!) – the work will still be there in the morning. And keep smiling x

You can follow Becky on instagram here >>
Let us know if there are any questions you'd like us to ask our future interviewees, or any comments in general! 
Xx

Comments